Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A still small whisper... my devo today

1 Kings 19:11-13

11
The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Psalm 46:10-11


10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

In Small Group tonight, we were talking about being frustrated, or in a state of anticipation of what God is doing in our lives. Are we more frustrated because He has not shown Himself in our current situations the way we want Him to, has He not delivered us from a trial yet? etc...

Or are we in a state of anticipation of what He is going to do next in our lives? Are we willingly seeking Him with our whole heart, and excited knowing that whatever it is that He does, it will be mind blowing?

This topic was picked from the One Prayer Series sermon by Pastor Perry Noble

As I was reading my devo today, I came across the passage where Elijah was seeking after God. He was frustrated because he had done so much, but it seemed pointless because he said that he was the last prophet (the one God was using) and people were looking to kill him. God's people were off doing sinful things, and not turning back to God.

Sometimes in my life, especially when life is busy, I get frustrated at God. I expect Him to show up and do big things, with loud bells and whistles. I have this yearning to do His will, to be the Man of God He wants me to be, but I get impatient and frustrated.

I throw my hands up, and get frustrated because I do not take the time to listen to God. Elijah witnessed 4 major shocking events; the Wind that tore the mountains apart, the Earthquake, the Fire and finally the Still Small Whisper. I feel that I expect God to show up in my life in a similar scenario. Well like an angle, or a heavenly voice... that sort of thing.

What I should be doing in those times is looking to God's Word, and spending more intimate time in prayer. God appeared to Elijah in a still small whisper.

I should be still before the Lord, and let Him guide me the way that is Perfect, not the way that is Convenient to me...

My one prayer this week is this:

Dear Jesus, please help me and the World to be able to listen for that still small whisper, that same voice that spoke the earth into existence and motion, so that I may be the Man of God you created me, and called me to be. Help the World hear that voice so that they may come into a relationship with You, and have and abundance of life in You. Thank You Jesus for willingly dying on the cross for our sins, and rising from the grave, so that each of us may have the chance to spend eternity with You. Amen.



1 comment:

Kat Toms said...

i love how your heart just overflows with the GOSPEL in all your prayers. no matter what God is teaching you...

the heart of the Father bleeding for his children at the cross through His Son...

:) one of the reasons
i'm blessed to be your friend.
thanks for taking the time to post these thoughts.