Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Something About The name JESUS

B and I recently drove up to see my grandparents on Sunday to celebrate my Grandpa's birthday. It was really awesome. On the way, we listened to "Something About The Name Jesus," by Rance Allen and featuring Kirk Franklin. Talk about a Holy Ghost moment.

Well this morning, as I got up early to pray, I watched the youtube video of that song. I thought that I could listen to some music while I read my bible. Ha, when that song came on, all I could do was to stop reading and start praising the Lord. There is something about the name Jesus, there's something about who He is. He is everything to me and when I hear His name being praised, well all I can do is stop what I am doing and start praising His name.
Let me give you another example.
Last night, at small group Andy and I went to the McDonald's near his house. It one of those gas stations/McDonald's that was on a busy road in the middle of the country. Lots of people stopped by to get food and gas and it was interesting to watch them. Well as Andy was telling me about who he would like to see "Come Home" this guy sat down near us and started eating his food.
And every time Andy would talk about Jesus, saying His name, and how good Jesus is, this guy looked at us. I guess that's understandable, and it did not surprise me. I mean hey, we are in the South and everybody talks about God, and throws around the name of Jesus to sound religious. It is something we do down here.
But what was so interesting, was when Andy was pouring out his heart to me about who he would like to see "Come Back Home," come into a relationship with Jesus Christ, this young man stopped his eating, and just watched us. It was just so obvious, and it seemed as if he was trying to make it not obvious. Something about the name Jesus.
Anyway to make a long story short... after Andy had prayed for us, this young man approached us.
"I am so deeply touched and moved to hear you guys talk about Jesus in a way that is real" something like that. "I have recently given my life to Christ this past year, backslided, and I would like have a better relationship with Him." etc you get the point.

My point, is that even by saying His name in our everyday conversations, people's lives can be transformed. We as the Church should not be afraid to lift up the name of Jesus in our daily lives.

I leave you with some quotes from Kirk Franklin.

“Even when we take God for granted, what’s so amazing about God is Paul says He does not treat us as our sins deserve. So that means that even in my imperfections God is still perfect with His grace and His Mercy.

"That's why I don't want people getting comfortable praising the Lord, just when He gives them something. See you gotta learn how praise Him because of who He is, because, see, when you praise Him for who He is you don’t have to wait till the trouble come, to learn how to praise Him.” ~Kirk Franklin~




No comments: