Sunday, December 28, 2008

A season of Preparation: 4 F's of Ministry.

I sat down with my Mentor, Dr. Rev William Green, associate pastor of First United Methodist Church of Cary, N.C. Brother Green has been doing all kinds of ministry for many years and he has blessed so many people. He has a large repertoire of expertise that ranges from being a pastor at a mega church to spending time with the inmates in the correctional facilities during the week pouring God's love out on them. He has helped to influence life change for hundreds if not thousands over the course of his ministry. William is my Paul if you please, and I am his timothy. He has always been there for me, thick and thin.
Yesterday, we had a chance to sit down over coffee at Starbucks of course, and I just had a chance to sit in the presence of a great man of God as he poured life and truth into me. He really spoke to my potential challenging me to seek out God in the areas of my life where I need Him more. He encouraged me, as always to test the spirits, and to strive daily to be more like Christ. Brother Green as he is often affectionately refereed to, is one of the key influences in my life, and one of the reasons why I am going into the ministry.

We talked about seminary, and I feel as if I am being drawn there more and more each day. I will be obedient and apply, and God and I will go from there. A seminary education would be a great key as Brother Green says, to unlock doors that may help me in my ministry 10years from now.
It was just soo good to finally catch up with him.

Here are the 4 F's to answering the Call to ministry.

  1. FAITH FULLNESS- Am I being faithful to God by pursing the Call which He has placed in my heart, or am I running away from it?
  2. FRUIT FULLNESS- Is the area of ministry that I believe to be my specific calling bearing fruit, or is it withering?
  3. FULFILMENT- Am I being fulfilled in this ministry that I am doing? Does my soul feel alive and intimately connected with Christ? If not, then maybe it is the wrong area.
  4. FAMOUS- Is it making God famous and not me? If God is getting the glory, then often times in the case of ministry, we are overworked, underpaid, and overlooked. Even for those who are famous, ie lead/head pastors, they have their own issues of insecurity which is a way that God humbles them.
So... right now... I am passionately pursing and pouring into college students, homeless persons, and learning the ropes of effective, life changing, hope giving, evangelism that will glorify God.
I love being a volunteer leader at Elevation Church, and growing in the areas of administration that will help me be a better servant. It would be cool to be an intern there someday soon if it is God's will.

I am building my ministry, brick by brick. I know that I will look back on this season some day and fully appreciate the lessons that God is teaching me right now.

No comments: